Sunday, January 11, 2009

First weigh-in

So my 'diet' started yesterday, and I'm mostly happy with my first day.

I weighed myself in the morning - 108kg! That puts me into the severely obese category according to this calculator . I need to lose more than 20kg to just be overweight! Scary stuff.

Of course I slept in and didn't get up at the crack of dawn to go for a walk - but I made up for it in the afternoon, and spent at least an hour mowing my lawn (I rather would've walked, but it needed to be done and there's still more to do - my garden is a jungle!).

For breakfast I had raw muesli (my recipe is below), based on the recipe from page 50 of Breakfast Lunch Tea. I adore this book, and have made heaps of things from it (the peanut butter choc chip biscuits are a fave!). From now on I'll just try the salad recipes and ignore the biscuits.

Lunch was grilled lamb cutlets with a tomato and steamed veges - corn, cauliflower, zucchini.

Then after lunch, my brother brought over some Chinese fried dumplings and meat buns! I had one of each... actually, I had two dumplings. But it's better than eating the whole batch, as I would've previously done. I told him I was trying to lose weight, so he took them away with him. (He's trying to lose weight too, but he just wanted a taste, hence bringing them over to my place... I think he was going to give the rest to a friend.)

Dinner was a small piece of steak with salad - lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber and red onion with a dressing of mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper and a few slivered almonds scattered on top. I felt like something sweet after dinner so had another nectarine and banana. I'd really like to get out of the habit of eating anything after dinner. Or eating any snacks at all. But I think that will take a while. And while I love my organic boxes of fruit and vege, getting a whole heap of bananas means that you have a whole heap of bananas that ripen at the same time. I guess if I don't manage to eat them all before they go bad I can make a cake for a friend.

As well as my exercise and food, I want to get into the habit of recording how much water I drink. I'm not sure how much I had yesterday... and I haven't been keeping a record of today's intake either, but I think I've had more... I think I'll have to start writing it down.


Raw Muesli Recipe (adapted from Breakfast Lunch Tea)
- The night before, soak 1/2 cup oats in 1/4 cup fruit juice.
- In the morning, stir through 2 tablespoons of greek style yoghurt, 1 chopped nectarine and 1 chopped banana and a handful of macadamia nuts.
- I also sprinkled over a tablespoon of Brookfarm toasted macadamia muesli for added crunch.
- Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment